terrible roads..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• terrible roads..

hey guys my name is stephen im marc's brother, while riding with the vici group on saturday i realized i pretty much suck at goat roads. do you guys have any tips for being more efficient at them? thanks

what's a goat road? or am I just blond... I don't know the lingo.
    sigpic

Originally posted by epim
    Vampires MC. We ride motorcycles. We ride motorcycles fast. We're a family. We know where to hide the bodies.
    The_grinch: "Yes, I love colic and rectal thermometry."

Comment

Goat Trails are what they're typically referred to as. A goat trail would be any low speed extra windy mountain road. Something with lots of switchbacks and such. Visualize a great road for SuperMotards and your most likely visualizing a goat trail. Empire Grade might be a good example.

Pretty much your average tips apply. Visualize your way through the turn, look as far through as possible. Use what lane is available to you without endangering yourself from oncoming traffic. I also find staying about a gear lower than I'd normally want to helps a lot.
      Last edited by seric; 05-11-2009, 07:26 PM.
      --
      Keith Seric Maynard
      http://www.seric.com

Comment

Also a road full of lots of pot holes, bumps, dirt, rough asphalt etc help make it 'goaty'

Mountain Charlie, Upper East Zyante, Kings Mountain, Tunitas Creek are all fine upstanding examples of goat trails.

Stay loose on the handlebars (but not so loose they'll get ripped out of yout hands with a bump)

Move more on the bike rather than doing rigid leans (gives you more traction and more 'whoops' room)

Know your bike, learn how your suspension responds. Is it properly set up to stay glues to the pavement when hitting a washboard at a slight lean angle?

Keep your weight on the pegs instead of the seat. It helps keep a low center of gravity and your knees will help act as shock absorbers (for the really goaty bits)

Be prepared to change your line at a split second notice as the roadkill, puddle, road appears and disappears.

Not only look through the corner...look through the next five. The flicker of motion you see ahead may be an oncoming vehicle....

more cryptic koans after dinner.
        I've got your mother's maiden name tattooed on my arm...

Comment

sweet! What about Mines on the Livermore side? I just did that last month... awesome ride!

I recommend a lower gear that's more responsive, always be prepared for shit everywhere and like a cow around the corner (or a car), and I really improve my riding when I follow behind someone better than I am.
          Playing catch-up allows you to get out of a normal comfort-zone and learn new tricks and gain new skill.

Depending on the people I ride with, I read the rider's lean in front of me to judge how much I need to lean and how harsh the curve is. SUPER helpful when you have a repeat rider in front of you. Seeing how much lean they need and if they need brakes or swerve gives you an extra half-second to adjust yourself and keep your bike with the tires firmly on the pavement.

When I hit gravel/wet spot/oil/lose any kind of traction, the trick i've learned (and don't hold me responsible) is to let the bike do what it needs to do. It should regain it's intended path. Usually when a person freaks out is when things go all bad. Overcorrecting and such.

Anyways... I think I've said enough. I've only been riding a few years - but I'm accident free so far (and I'll add that in as much as I can before it happens)!!!
          sigpic

Vampires MC. We ride motorcycles. We ride motorcycles fast. We're a family. We know where to hide the bodies.

Comment

Ice Cream Grade in Bonny Doon another good example? That's one of my favorite Quickies!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by samatye View Post
              Ice Cream Grade in Bonny Doon another good example? That's one of my favorite Quickies!

Ice cream grade ate my balls once.
              Can you fly, bobby?

Comment

Speaking of pegs, I find that standing on the pegs over rough roads makes it easier on the body to act like a shock absorber. The transfer of energy does not jab right into your spine when you don't have as much weight on the seat.
                Newbs take note - do not stand on the pegs in corners!

But the best solution to dealing with poor road conditions and potholes is to ride a motard.

Comment

Originally posted by antipathy View Post

But the best solution to dealing with poor road conditions and potholes is to ride a motard.
                  bah...that takes all the fun out of it 8)
                  I've got your mother's maiden name tattooed on my arm...

Comment

Originally posted by stephen View Post
                    hey guys my name is stephen im marc's brother, while riding with the vici group on saturday i realized i pretty much suck at goat roads. do you guys have any tips for being more efficient at them? thanks
                    The more you travel them the less difficult they seem. Um... Your brother and I live on one of the best goat trails to ride.. My advice.. Come see us more and take 17 less. =)
                    I am just not feeling creative this week.

Comment

Originally posted by Lauren View Post
                      The more you travel them the less difficult they seem. Um... Your brother and I live on one of the best goat trails to ride.. My advice.. Come see us more and take 17 less. =)
                      if he rode with vici then he went up your road on saturday. I led the group up there.
                      "I love Satan and speedmetal" - Dylan

Comment

Originally posted by Lauren View Post
                        yeah i probably should be taking the back way up, thanks for all the input guys

Comment

Originally posted by antipathy View Post

...sorry. I've just been waiting for an opportunity to brag about my last trip up the cuesta grade.

+10 on riding out of the seat and keeping your weight on the pegs. I like to hover my butt just a few inches out of the saddle on the really rough roads. Maybe it just feels more comfortable knowing I'm one foot out the door already if I bail. Or maybe it's just valuable buffer between my balls and the wall.

Also, (and perhaps more obviously) don't hesitate to pick a less-than-ideal line if it might steer you clear of some less-than-ideal traction.

In other news, apparently my rear shock is leaking oil. Still investigating the cause.
                          Apologies in advance...

Comment

Originally posted by Currin View Post

...sorry. I've just been waiting for an opportunity to brag about my last trip up the cuesta grade.

+10 on riding out of the seat and keeping your weight on the pegs. I like to hover my butt just a few inches out of the saddle on the really rough roads. Maybe it just feels more comfortable knowing I'm one foot out the door already if I bail. Or maybe it's just valuable buffer between my balls and the wall.

Also, (and perhaps more obviously) don't hesitate to pick a less-than-ideal line if it might steer you clear of some less-than-ideal traction.

In other news, apparently my rear shock is leaking oil. Still investigating the cause.
                            where the hell did you take that picture, and when? I thought most of the dirt was blocked off by the landslide, unless there's a way around it...
                            Originally posted by the_grinch
                            ‎@Thatch-you sound just like an old athlete that can't face the fact that his best years are behind him. Josh would crash on the way to your funeral just to take that pin off your corpse.
                            Originally posted by Beauregard
                            give me some time to get used to not riding a Harley you young whippersnapper and i'll teach you some manners

Comment

Originally posted by Junkie View Post
                              where the hell did you take that picture, and when? I thought most of the dirt was blocked off by the landslide, unless there's a way around it...
                              Last week. First trail on the left about 1/4 mile up TV Tower 'Road.' Trail doesn't go more than a couple hundred yards, but I needed somewhere to park while I ran around looking for weird shit to eat off the ground.
                              Apologies in advance...

Comment

Working...
                              X