X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buell is no more

http://www.buell.com/en_us/

Message from Erik Buell...
    I've got your mother's maiden name tattooed on my arm...

Harley Davidson says it's discontinuing the Buell product line to focus on their Harley Davidson brand. Makes sense. They've made the same fucking bike for 106 years -- why make anything new?
    "I love Satan and speedmetal" - Dylan

Comment

I wonder what's going to happen to MV Agusta..

Comment

they're selling MV too
        Originally posted by the_grinch
        ‎@Thatch-you sound just like an old athlete that can't face the fact that his best years are behind him. Josh would crash on the way to your funeral just to take that pin off your corpse.
        Originally posted by Beauregard
        give me some time to get used to not riding a Harley you young whippersnapper and i'll teach you some manners

Comment

No audio at work. I take it Buell is folding?
          Cashing Satan's checks with my dick in my hand.
          Sometimes you gotta fuck a guy up and sometimes you gotta drink some chocolate milk.

Comment

Wow! Shock and awe.

The Ama is only going to have two factory teams if rumors hold true, Honda pulled out, Kawasaki is close to leaving, Ducati has no factory team...and now no Buell
            "We want to be free. We want to be free to do what we want to do. We want to be free to ride. And we want to be free to ride our machines without getting hassled by The Man. And we want to get loaded."

"I can't promise you sticking your dick in a diamondback's mouth and zapping it with a cattle prod *will* get your pecker bitten, but I can promise you it's a BAD FUCKING IDEA" -Rotten

"Guns, stolen motorcycles, and dead hookers tend to attract a lot of attention"

Comment

What is the world coming to?!
              sigpic

Originally posted by epim
              Vampires MC. We ride motorcycles. We ride motorcycles fast. We're a family. We know where to hide the bodies.
              The_grinch: "Yes, I love colic and rectal thermometry."

Comment

Fuck fuck FUCK!!!!!!!!

We finally get the motor we were needing and HD is pulling the plug. Mother Fucks.
                Mr. Cthulhu, this is your wake-up call! &&

Comment

Originally posted by Connar View Post
                  Fuck fuck FUCK!!!!!!!!

We finally get the motor we were needing and HD is pulling the plug. Mother Fucks.
                  I'm guessing the rotax powerplant was a tough pill to swallow. It's a pity, Buell was really showing potential.

Comment

My suspicion is that HD has some cash flow problems and is paring back to their key business - branded clothing. Sales are down, dealers are closing. Net income for the past quarter was just $26M, down from $78M a year ago.

Performance motorcycles just weren't a good fit - MV in particular, at least with Buell they could keep their "American Motorcycle" marketing theme.

It would be cool if Erik Buell had found private equity or another buyer to keep the brand alive. It could still happen I suppose. I'd hope with better success than Indian motorcycle had.
                    Last edited by lugnut; 10-16-2009, 04:42 PM.
                    "Mathematics are the result of mysterious powers which no one understands, and which the unconscious recognition of beauty must play an important part. Out of an infinity of designs a mathematician chooses one pattern for beauty's sake and pulls it down to earth."

Marston Morse

Comment

Hrm. I wonder how much of HDs revenue is from branded trinkets vs actually selling motorcycles.

Comment

I had heard some years ago that they made more money on just t shirt sales than motorcycles.
                        "We want to be free. We want to be free to do what we want to do. We want to be free to ride. And we want to be free to ride our machines without getting hassled by The Man. And we want to get loaded."

"I can't promise you sticking your dick in a diamondback's mouth and zapping it with a cattle prod *will* get your pecker bitten, but I can promise you it's a BAD FUCKING IDEA" -Rotten

"Guns, stolen motorcycles, and dead hookers tend to attract a lot of attention"

Comment

Looking at their financial data, that's not exactly true. Although they do make about twice as much on clothing as they do on Buell and MV combined. $71 million in 6 months for Buell/MV, $144 million in 6 months for clothing. 1.8billion for Harley Davidson sales.

Parts and Accessories also had a fairly large 6 month chunk, at $400 million. And Financial Services income over 6 months also brought in $230 million. 4 times what the Buell and MV brands produced.

1.8billion in Harley Sales comes from the sale of 133 million bikes for an average of $13,000 each. The dealer should make between 10% and 18% profit on top of what corporate makes. I assume corporate makes no more that an equal amount. Probably less. In which case, the true income is closer to $200-$300,000 which is either a little above, or on the outside twice what they make in clothing. This goes more inline with what I'd expect as an outside observer of the industry.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by seric; 10-16-2009, 02:46 PM.
                          --
                          Keith Seric Maynard
                          http://www.seric.com

Comment

They're also pushing over into india, which is a tough market to break into because of some insane tariffs. Ironically they'll be one of the most modern motorcycles over there.

Comment

Nice data Keith.

I wonder what the profit margins are for each segment - I have to think that general merchandise is going to be much higher margin than motorcycles.
                              "Mathematics are the result of mysterious powers which no one understands, and which the unconscious recognition of beauty must play an important part. Out of an infinity of designs a mathematician chooses one pattern for beauty's sake and pulls it down to earth."

Marston Morse

Comment

Working...
                              X