Must Have Items on a Ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crazy4f4i View Post
    that does look very useful, is there a service you have to subscribe to?
    Yeah, it's $99/year for the basic service, which includes unlimited OK, Help and 911 messages (which transmits to the google map, plus sends SMS/email messages to a pre-set list that you can edit on your account page).

The automatic tracking (transmits every 10 minutes) is an additional $49/year, and SAR/Helicopter insurance ($100k) is an additional $7.95/year.

It's a healthy chunk of change (~$160 a year for the full boat) and I'm a bit strapped right now, but I don't think you can put a price tag on peace of mind like this. The types of areas and roads that we motorcyclists frequent on long trips almost never have any cell reception, and this unit works just about anywhere in the world as long as you have a decent amount of sky at your disposal.

The help button will just send a pre-set message to your SMS/email list asking for help and giving your lat/long coordinates. If you press and hold the 911 button it transmits every few minutes for 7 days, and they'll contact local law enforcement wherever you are. They'll even contact the nearest embassy/consulate if you're in a foreign country, and there's an optional info box on your account settings for personal information like blood type, medical history, drug allergies, etc.

I'm planning on taking a week-long trip through the Pacific Northwest next month, and it was a good enough excuse to finally pull the trigger. I just got the unit from Amazon this morning, and set up http://wackyiraqi.com/gps to redirect to my shared tracking page.

The password is the same as my mp3/ftp directories (the name of my late bird). I don't want to post it publicly, but you can look it up in my private comedy album thread.

"Far be it from me to question your stupid civilization or its dumb customs."—Philip J. Fry

Comment

Wow dude, thanks for the write up. Im usually not impressed by stuff like this.. but just to keep worried friends/family at ease.. that's awesome.

And $8/yr for SAR insurance up to $100K? Fuck yeah!
      "I love Satan and speedmetal" - Dylan

Comment

I created this file to answer a question for Shane, but I figured I'd share it here too.

The SPOT shared map pages (that you can give to your friends to track your progress) only show 24 hours of updates. However, your actual account page houses 30 days of data that can be exported to CSV, GPX or KML (Google Earth) format.

Attached is a KML file from our trip down to SLO last weekend. If you run Google Earth you can just extract and double-click on the file, if not you can download and install it for free.
        Attached Files

"Far be it from me to question your stupid civilization or its dumb customs."—Philip J. Fry

Comment

anti-monkey butt powder

Comment

Originally posted by Rev View Post
            anti-monkey butt powder
            Which is available at Scarborough Hardware.
            "Mathematics are the result of mysterious powers which no one understands, and which the unconscious recognition of beauty must play an important part. Out of an infinity of designs a mathematician chooses one pattern for beauty's sake and pulls it down to earth."

Marston Morse

Comment

My Ride checklist:

1: GPS Unit (currently a iWay500c, I'm upgrading to a TomTom 930 this week)

2: ipod (filled with audiobooks)

3: Good noice cancelling headphones. I like er-4's, but have now switched to dual driver molded headphones.

4: Valentine One Radar Detector

3: Siren mounted next to speedo, hooked up to Valentine One for alerts. The valentine one is also plugged into my audio system (detailed below).

4. I keep a couple extra $20 bills tucked away in my gear in case I lose my wallet, or a gas station in the middle of nowhere only takes cash, etc...

5. SmartWool Neck Warmer (all seasons, makes a huge difference in the cold)

6: Heat Dispersing Glove Liners (I picked up some gold ones from REI, they are built to keep a hot packet on the outside of the hand, and distribute that heat around the whole hand. I find they work well distributing the heat from heated grips)

7. Electric Vest (usually only in the winter)

8. Yaesu ft-50r dual band radio, with 6-aa battery pack.

9. Flashlight, Tools, Tire Repair Kit.

10. Extra AA's for flashlight and radio.

11. Aluminum Bottle filled with water. (gotta watch those BPA's incase I get pregnant.

12. Protein Bar

13. Sunglasses that fit under helmet, and tinted visor strip. (I find this setup works just as well with more portability than carrying a tinted visor)

14. Cat Crap lens cleaner

15. Heat wicking helmet liner, and insulated helmet liner in the winter.

16. Kangol, to tame the helmet hair.

17. Slip on Vans, for when I just don't want to walk around in my Alpinestar or Daytona boots all day.

My Audio Setup:
              I run my Amplirider, GPS, Radar Detector, and iPod off of an auxiliary fuse box hooked directly to the battery through a relay connected to key-on, and a noise isolator. This gives me a constant ground for all of my devices with audio circuitry, and isolates them from alternator noise.

The audio from all devices then go directly to the Amplirider which combines the audio from all devices and combines the amplified output into a single jack. This output is then split between a 400 Watt Rockforg Fosgate Amp into a set of MB Quarts Component Speakers and a seperate 3.5mm jack to plug my headphones into on the dash.

I prefer riding with the noise canceling headphones in place, but if I get fatigued after a few hours of having headphones in, I can switch to the bikes on board components.

The Radar Detector also has an output to the on dash siren, with a thumb activated mute switch, for when I'm not using any other audio devices.
              --
              Keith Seric Maynard
              http://www.seric.com

Comment

Working...
              X