Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honda's responce to the Suzuli DL650

http://powersports.honda.com/2012/nc700x.aspx

It looks pretty damn big. Shouldn't ADV bikes try and slim down the weight instead of trying to become an off road capable Gold Wing?
    "Through the course of my life, I've spent most of my money on motorcycles, drinking, drugs and chasing wild women. The rest of the money I just wasted."

I am the chosen one, the mighty hand of vengeance...
    ... sent down to strike the unroadworthy!

sigpic

They never mention taking it off road, so I wouldn't classify it as an "ADV" bike so much as an ergo-friendly commuter good road trip bike. It's probably just as capable as the V-Strom or 1050 Tiger. 670cc parallel twin might be cool, but 700cc's is pussing out. They could have gone full liter and it wouldn't weigh significantly more.
    Cashing Satan's checks with my dick in my hand.
    Sometimes you gotta fuck a guy up and sometimes you gotta drink some chocolate milk.

Comment

I wouldn't call it an ADV myself but that's what they are calling it and the market they are trying to cash in on.

"Your Ticket to Adventure!"
      "Through the course of my life, I've spent most of my money on motorcycles, drinking, drugs and chasing wild women. The rest of the money I just wasted."

sigpic

Comment

Point taken.

Wet it's under 500 pounds, and if the motor makes 85 or so horsepower it looks like it would be fun. But really, they went with cheap shocks and should have gone with belt-drive if they wanted something using modern technology. And I'm assuming it's FI. It just seems to me that they could have made it "wow" instead of "oh, there's Honda's version of the Suzuki."

For $7k I'd get a an F650GS if I had to go the under-a-liter "ADV" route.
        Sometimes you gotta fuck a guy up and sometimes you gotta drink some chocolate milk.

Comment

The f650gs is a seriously underpowered pig offroad, and is far less capable than the 800 or r1200 off road. I have ridden all three off road btw. I'm not saying that the f650 is less capable than the DL or this new Honda.

Belt drive, SERIOUSLY?!? Fuck that shit, that is the last thing I want on a motorcycle off road. One fucking rock gets in there and it's toast. The only thing belt drive is good for is keeping chain lube from flinging onto the chrome. No motorcycle with any sporting intentions has any business having a belt drive.
          Last edited by the_grinch; 01-20-2012, 02:09 PM.
          "We want to be free. We want to be free to do what we want to do. We want to be free to ride. And we want to be free to ride our machines without getting hassled by The Man. And we want to get loaded."

"I can't promise you sticking your dick in a diamondback's mouth and zapping it with a cattle prod *will* get your pecker bitten, but I can promise you it's a BAD FUCKING IDEA" -Rotten

"Guns, stolen motorcycles, and dead hookers tend to attract a lot of attention"

Comment

All my hoe's are belt driven. They are also designed for sporting purposes.

sigpic

Comment

Jon, this bike is not for off road.

Comment

Originally posted by Rotten View Post
                All my hoe's are belt driven. They are also designed for sporting purposes.
                contrary to club opinion, motorcycles and sex slaves are two different things. :x

It's more like a Venn diagram
                Last edited by the_grinch; 01-20-2012, 05:15 PM.
                "We want to be free. We want to be free to do what we want to do. We want to be free to ride. And we want to be free to ride our machines without getting hassled by The Man. And we want to get loaded."

"I can't promise you sticking your dick in a diamondback's mouth and zapping it with a cattle prod *will* get your pecker bitten, but I can promise you it's a BAD FUCKING IDEA" -Rotten

Comment

I just walked out to the garage and found a bunch of tears in the 6 month old belt on the Buell. Fuck belts.
                  --
                  Keith Seric Maynard
                  http://www.seric.com

Comment

Originally posted by seric View Post
                    I just walked out to the garage and found a bunch of tears in the 6 month old belt on the Buell. Fuck belts.
                    You have a shitty belt.

The Goodyear kevlar belt on my built Sportster took all the abuse I could throw at it; and that was a torquey bitch.

Oh and Jon, you have a lot of experience with bikes with belts? Yeah. That's what I thought. (I am the only one foolish enough to go all-Harley... well, me and brad anyway. Oh yeah, David too.)
                    Last edited by beauregard; 01-21-2012, 10:31 AM.

Comment

I ordered a Gates belt in the correct pitch to replace it, I figure they know how to do belts. This was the newest generation Harley Belt that failed. Apparently it's a Goodyear belt.
                      --
                      Keith Seric Maynard
                      http://www.seric.com

Comment

Originally posted by beauregard View Post
                        You have a shitty belt.

The Goodyear kevlar belt on my built Sportster took all the abuse I could throw at it; and that was a torquey bitch.

Oh and Jon, you have a lot of experience with bikes with belts? Yeah. That's what I thought. (I am the only one foolish enough to go all-Harley... well, me and brad anyway. Oh yeah, David too.)

What the fuck do you know about motorcycle maintenance? You get rid of bikes before they even need an oil change.

I've been around enough shops, worked on enough bikes, and seen enough belts snap on enough bikes to know they suck for many, many reasons. Not the least of which is that they are less reliable than chains or shaft drive, and easily damaged.

The only bikes that have belts are cruisers and Buells, why do you think that is?

Why the fuck don't they put belts on sportbikes, dirtbikes, flat track race bikes, or gp bikes?

You don't even know enough about motorcycles to realize that belt drive isn't "modern technology". The very first motorcycles had belt final drives. Do you know what form of final drive came next? Of course you don't, because it was shaft drive. Guess what, chain drive is the newest tech of the bunch.

Don't ever step to me with that belt drive bullshit.
                        You can stick that belt drive right up your ass.
                        Last edited by the_grinch; 01-21-2012, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Caffeinate much?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by the_grinch View Post
                            What WAAAA, WAAAAAA, WAAAAA maintenance? You get rid of bikes before they even need an oil change.

I've been WAAAA, WAAAAAA, WAAAAA, and seen enough belts snap on enough bikes to know they suck for many,WAAAA, WAAAAAA, WAAAAA is that they are less reliable than chains or shaft drive, and easily damaged.

The only WAAAA, WAAAAAA, WAAAAA Buells, why do you think that is?

Why the fuck don't they put belts on sportbikes, dirtbikes, flat track race bikes, or gp bikes?

You don't even know WAAAA, WAAAAAA, WAAAAA "modern technology". The very first motorcycles had belt final drives. Do WAAAA, WAAAAAA, WAAAAAe next? Of course you don't, because WAAAA, WAAAAAA, WAAAAA chain drive is the newest tech of the bunch.

Don't ever step to me with that belt drive bullshit.
                            You can stick that belt drive right up your ass.WAAAA, WAAAAAA, WAAAAA

Comment

(I am the only one foolish enough to go all-Harley... well, me and brad anyway. Oh yeah, David too.)

Fgts. the lot of you!

Lon - I like the look of it, and you know i'd beat the shit out of it offroad too!
                              SETHZILLA!

"American by birth, CALIFORNIAN by the grace of God!"- Me

-" I am not leaving the forum, because it's my ultimate intent to drive the rest of you off so I'm the only one left.
                              "- Ziad

Comment

Working...
                              X