Best Chain Lube Evar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Chain Lube Evar

If you've got a chain on your bike and are not using this stuff yet, you should be.

Safe for o-rings, long-lasting and, best of all, CLEAN. I've been Dupont Teflon Multi-Use Lubricant it for months now, and I cannot recommend it highly enough. I used to muck up every square inch of a full shop rag every time I cleaned Maxima Chain Wax off my chain. This stuff keeps my chain lubricated longer, and collects almost no dirt.

You can purchase it at any Lowe's or Ace Hardware stores for around $7/can. As far as I know, neither Home Depot nor OSH carry it, but your local mom-and-pop hardware store might.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motor...chain-lube.htm

http://bayarearidersforum.com/forums...d.php?t=181300

"The Clean Lube...No Oily Film! DuPont Performance Multi-Use is a water repelling, three dimensional lubricant utilizing advanced DuPont Teflon fluoropolymer, organic molybdenum, and a polymerized wax structure. This unique combination goes on wet to deeply penetrate and loosen frozen or rusted parts. It then sets up with a clean, dry, self-cleaning film. This dry film will not attract and absorb dirt and grime. In fact, dirt activates release agents in the lubricant causing bits of the wax layer and the contaminants to flake off. This patented technology keeps parts clean, so they work better and last longer. Use On Any Moving Part DuPont Multi-Use is an all-surface, all condition lubricant. Use on: Chains, Threaded Parts, Hinges, Locks, Latches, and Springs. Rusted Bolts, Sliding Tracks, Wheels, Pivots, Cams and Pulleys. Pipe Fittings, Shafts, Wet Wires, Zippers, Rollers, and Linkages. From a frozen bolt to a rusted bicycle chain, from sticky windows and door tracks, to a squeaking hinge, DuPont Multi-Use will exceed your highest expectations."

"Far be it from me to question your stupid civilization or its dumb customs."—Philip J. Fry

Anal safe?
    Can you fly, bobby?

Comment

Tempting. PJ1 or Chain Wax + the dirt road I live off of mean I have to clean the fucker every week.
      "I love Satan and speedmetal" - Dylan

Comment

Originally posted by Valgar View Post
        Anal safe?

It certainly doesn't feel safe with you around.

I think I'll get some. I've been using Rock Oil chain lube because that's what was cheapest at We All Ride but it also tends to collect a lot of dirt.
        "Through the course of my life, I've spent most of my money on motorcycles, drinking, drugs and chasing wild women. The rest of the money I just wasted."

I am the chosen one, the mighty hand of vengeance...
        ... sent down to strike the unroadworthy!

sigpic

Comment

Ok so the DuPont is very good but also expensive. Anyone able to get a wholesale or case discount on this stuff?

I have found there to be two very different methodologies for longer chain/sprocket life.

First method: Cleaning the chain with WD-40 (inexpensive) at a high rate of frequency, i.e. before each ride.

Second method: Applying a dirt repelling (but expensive) material like the Dupont product onto the chain, thereby requiring fewer cleanings.

Both methods can extend chain life. Basically whatever keeps dirt from getting between your chain and sprocket is good and lessens wear. One involves more labor and a less expensive/impressive chemical than the other.

I've also been told that for non-o ring chains (such as those on dirt bikes) a bicycle chain lubricant like 'White Lightning' works well and is also inexpensive.

Comment

Originally posted by antipathy View Post
            Ok so the DuPont is very good but also expensive.
            I paid $6.49 at Ace hardware for a can of it today. If it stays on the chain instead of flying all over the place, it should last much longer than the other junk out there. And you should never use WD40 alone on your chain, you should still have some lube to avoid metal rubbing against metal. Dirt isn't the only thing that wears out a chain.
            --
            Keith Seric Maynard
            http://www.seric.com

Comment

As far as I can tell the WD40 only mentality comes from bicyclists. The theory being that anything else will attract dirt and form a "grinding paste" that is detrimental to chain life. There are a issues with that. WD40 is not a lubricant. It's a corrosion prevention agent. Nothing more. It may have some solvent ability that may help remove grit and oil, but that's a biproduct. I think that only using wd40 on a motorcycle chain will remove whatever grease is in the bushings and lead to early chain failure.

As Seric mentioned you need some kind of lubricant on your chain. Those lubes with better stiction will always last on the chain longer. However those are probably more likely to attract dirt. You can counteract this with frequent cleaning and re-lubing. Some lubes with lower stiction (repsol) probably pick up less grit because of their tendency to fling off as the chain whips around the sprocket. This means you need to re-lube your chain more often but probably dont need as much elbow grease to clean it.

The alternative to that is a heavier chain lube like pj1 black label or chain wax. I use either on my bike right now, the advantage to pj1 being that it can fight its way into bushings better and free them up if they're starting to jam. In either case you spend a -lot- more time cleaning your chain because of all of the crap they pick up off of the road. I have to ride through a couple hundred feet of dirt every day and pick up a ton of shit on my chain by the end of the week.

That said I've got about 30K on my chain and sprocket set on the fz6, with little to no stretch on the chain. That's pretty good given the dirt road, and all of the abuse I put on it (5 track days, and a lot of trips to redline). I'm getting really damn tired of scrubbing the chain once or twice a week, and look forward to giving this dupont stuff a shot. Worst case scenario my 30K mile old chain dies and I finally have an excuse to put on my pimptacular vortex rear sprocket.

Comment

James I think you would be an excellent candidate for daily chain cleaning with WD40 as dirt will kill your chain/sprockets far faster than a jammed bushing and it doesn't actually ruin bushings from what I've read. It's limited ability as a solvent doesn't detract from it's usefulness as a lubricant. Look at the ingredients; it does contain 15-20% lubricant, which should do if used with frequency.

Aliphatic Petroleum Distillates 45-50%
                Petroleum Base Oil 15-25%
                LVP Hydrocarbon Fluid 12-18%
                Carbon Dioxide 2-3%
                Non-hazardous Ingredients ‹ 10%

For the same reasons you give above I am thinking about dumping the chain wax and just cleaning my chain before every ride. I am one of those who has worn out chain and sprockets way prematurely on all my bikes and it is because I am lazy about cleaning the grime off.

For the same cost of two cans of the teflon product, you can buy three 16oz cans of WD40 at Costco. Just some advice for the cheap bastids out there.

Comment

So you are correct, according to wd40 their product is a "Light lubricant".

Even if wd40 did add to chain life, and i'm doubtful of that, spraying the chain down with wd40 every time I ride wouldnt happen. I ride pretty much every day. I'm not going to start my mornings by tinkering with the bike. I just want to ride.

I'm not lazy about cleaning the grime off my chain, and like I said my chain and sprockets have lasted about 30K so far, and counting.

The economics of WD40 rather than the dupont stuff probably dont work out either. Yeah it's $7 for 11oz of the dupont stuff, vs $7 for 24oz of wd40 .. but which one are you gonna burn through faster? If you're hosing your chain down with wd40 every day, rather than lubing it once a week I think you'll blow through 24oz of wd40 way faster than 11oz of the dupont spray.

It's interesting how much of a religious issue chain maintenance can be.

Comment

Maybe it's just me, but cleaning my chain on an every-fucking-daily basis is just not in the cards. Hellz no--I barely have the energy to pull my boots and helmet on in the morning and get back up my stairs in the evening.

The Dupont lube is <$7 a can and, used every week or so, lasts an easy two months for me. That's $3.50/month, TOPS. Not a lot of money, by any stretch.

"Far be it from me to question your stupid civilization or its dumb customs."—Philip J. Fry

Comment

The "WD" in WD-40 stands for water displacement. That was it's intended original purpose. As previously stated it is an excellent cleaning agent and has a limited ability to free stuck parts. It is not a lubricant by itself as it has no ability to stand up to any pressure. I use a healthy amount of WD-40 and a grunge brush to clean the chain only. Then I follow with some type of chain lube. I recommend against using it except for cleaning purposes. If you use it before a ride you will only be cleaning off the real chain lube.

"Real" bicyclists don't use it either. They use citrus based cleansers followed by penetrating synthetic lubes applied to each link one drop at a time. There is no o-rings on a bicycle chain so a lubricant must have the ability to penetrate to inside the roller pin contact and be able to stay there under pedaling load pressure. WD cannot do that.

If you need a penetrating catalyst to free up rust and stuck parts PB B'laster is absolutely the best thing ever made. http://www.pbblaster.com/test.html

Need proof? watch this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMbujh9s2aY
                      "Not for use on body parts"
                      Last edited by Rotten; 09-27-2008, 10:00 AM.
                      "Through the course of my life, I've spent most of my money on motorcycles, drinking, drugs and chasing wild women. The rest of the money I just wasted."

I am the chosen one, the mighty hand of vengeance...
                      ... sent down to strike the unroadworthy!

sigpic

Comment

I noticed molybdenum was an ingredient in the Dupont lube. Moly is great stuff, used to buy it for firearm lube.

I forget what I used on my chain back when. Seems like I got 10-15k miles on a chain, twice that on sprockets. 30k miles on a chain says either chains or lube has improved over the past 20 years. probably both. Regardless Ziad's experience would incline me towards DuPont lube for my next chain drive bike.
                        "Mathematics are the result of mysterious powers which no one understands, and which the unconscious recognition of beauty must play an important part. Out of an infinity of designs a mathematician chooses one pattern for beauty's sake and pulls it down to earth."

Marston Morse

Comment

Working...
                        X