Newbie Rider areas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Rider areas

What are some good newbie friendly areas near or around Twin Peaks?

Coworker just got a GS500 and is looking for some areas to get more than single digit miles under his belt.
    I've got your mother's maiden name tattooed on my arm...

I'd venture to say that nowhere in San Francisco proper is good for newbies. The roads are horrible, and the taxis and MUNI buses pose a serious danger to all riders, especially the inexperienced.

Your coworker needs to get out of the city, up to Marin or down to Skyline.

Edit: Here's a not-too-technical route that should be fine for a newbie: http://tinyurl.com/4zfckk
    Last edited by wackyiraqi; 10-06-2008, 05:15 PM.

"Far be it from me to question your stupid civilization or its dumb customs."—Philip J. Fry

Comment

i agree with the Mighty Ziad (referenced heavily in the book of AL)

if your coworker cant leave the city. the outer part of the sunset shouldn't be as bad as the rest of the city. im talking like out towards great highway and away from lincolon. in my experience the only problems i have not had many problems out there. train tracks on judah are way shitty to ride on though and not for newbies.
      being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. that is why god made fast motorcycles.

makin love dont make it love.
      -johnny paycheck

Comment

I live in North Beach myself, and it definitely seems like there's nothing in miles that isn't mayhem. If I aim straight up Broadway from Columbus and duck into the Presidio it's not toooo bad, and I did manage to get to the Great Highway but there were a few sticky spots. I'm pretty damn new still so I had a hard time with the downhill curves going south on Lincoln on the edge of the Presidio, 30mph felt way too fast.

I have only been down the Skyline direction once in a car and I don't remember it too well-- that road gets mentioned a lot as if it's something really dreadful. Are there certain sections of it that are better/easier than others? I got away from it as soon as the speed limit went up to 50. I'm not up for highway speeds yet much less freeways, so crossing the Golden Gate is still a pretty daunting prospect. Maybe puttering up and down the route I took for a while would be enough to work me toward that sort of thing eventually?

Comment

Originally posted by GnarlyCranium View Post
          I live in North Beach myself, and it definitely seems like there's nothing in miles that isn't mayhem. If I aim straight up Broadway from Columbus and duck into the Presidio it's not toooo bad, and I did manage to get to the Great Highway but there were a few sticky spots. I'm pretty damn new still so I had a hard time with the downhill curves going south on Lincoln on the edge of the Presidio, 30mph felt way too fast.

I have only been down the Skyline direction once in a car and I don't remember it too well-- that road gets mentioned a lot as if it's something really dreadful. Are there certain sections of it that are better/easier than others? I got away from it as soon as the speed limit went up to 50. I'm not up for highway speeds yet much less freeways, so crossing the Golden Gate is still a pretty daunting prospect. Maybe puttering up and down the route I took for a while would be enough to work me toward that sort of thing eventually?
          Move down to Santa Cruz and enjoy the training grounds for the isle of man.
          Die trying,trying to Die.

Comment

I don't need a 2-hour commute to get to school. Besides, I'm in San Francisco man, why the heck would I wanna leave?

Comment

Originally posted by GnarlyCranium View Post
              I don't need a 2-hour commute to get to school. Besides, I'm in San Francisco man, why the heck would I wanna leave?
              Better roads and bikers.
              Die trying,trying to Die.

Comment

My recommended route in the area of Twin Peaks would be a loop starting on Laguna Honda or Market St. heading south to Portola. Head West on Portola, from Portola head further West on Sloat. Left on Skyline/35 and it's 55+ once you pass the 3 way stop sign next to the lake. Since Sharp Park Road in Pacifica is not newbie friendly, might be better to turn around at Westborough or Sneath and take 35 back up. Going North make a left at the 3 way stop sign and that will put you on Highway 1 North headed towards the Cliff House.

Comment

Do laps on Twin Peaks Boulevard?

Traffic is light and slow, but you get a variety-pak of slight hazards to practice responding to at a pace of one's own choosing: dirt and rocks in the road, off-camber decreasing-radius turns, low guard rails next to sheer cliffs, potholes, joggers, and bicyclists.

And it's a conveniently short distance to SF General.

Twin Peaks Boulevard: try it today!

Comment

I have witnessed at close hand the guard rail can prevent a bike from going over the cliff. Any faster and the rider would have been catapulted over into the abyss.

Good times.
                    "Through the course of my life, I've spent most of my money on motorcycles, drinking, drugs and chasing wild women. The rest of the money I just wasted."

I am the chosen one, the mighty hand of vengeance...
                    ... sent down to strike the unroadworthy!

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X