EARTHQUAKE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EARTHQUAKE

Felt it big time in Mountain View - it was RAD.

Stuff is still shaking a little bit.

How are all of you?

Usually as I understand it, the little ones relieve pressure that would normally be released during a big one.
    --
    Keith Seric Maynard
    http://www.seric.com

Comment

I was on my bike, just got new rear tire and was riding from one side of lane to other to get it worn in. I didn't notice an earthquake at all, showed up at Rev's and was asked if I felt it.

Go figure.

I believe the jury is out on whether a moderate quake is predictive of a larger quake or if it makes a larger quake less likely. Theory says slipping faults would have less stress after release. On the other hand flows of magna in the mantle could be causing the stress, and those flows are very poorly understood - there could be more to come. Or who knows.

Interesting science that I've not looked at for a while.
      "Mathematics are the result of mysterious powers which no one understands, and which the unconscious recognition of beauty must play an important part. Out of an infinity of designs a mathematician chooses one pattern for beauty's sake and pulls it down to earth."

Marston Morse

Comment

Slipping faults relieve stress on the existing fault line...however that change of pressure can reduce/increase pressure on all the surrounding ones....in this case the Hayward fault which I've heard is due soon for its 140 year cycle.
        I've got your mother's maiden name tattooed on my arm...

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut View Post
          On the other hand flows of magna in the mantle could be causing the stress, and those flows are very poorly understood - there could be more to come. Or who knows.
          I had no idea that's where all those 80's V-4 Honda cruisers went... No wonder they instituted that Tariff on heavyweight bikes in 1984.
          --
          Keith Seric Maynard
          http://www.seric.com

Comment

Originally posted by seric View Post
            I had no idea that's where all those 80's V-4 Honda cruisers went... No wonder they instituted that Tariff on heavyweight bikes in 1984.
            I didn't catch my typo, lol.
            "Mathematics are the result of mysterious powers which no one understands, and which the unconscious recognition of beauty must play an important part. Out of an infinity of designs a mathematician chooses one pattern for beauty's sake and pulls it down to earth."

Marston Morse

Comment

Originally posted by seric View Post
              Since I have one of those V-4s, now I have the answer as to why there are so many earthquakes here in the AK!

Comment

Working...
              X