No announcement yet.

new to the club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the responses. I got a friend coming into town on Wed. who's going to bring me a charger, but if that doesn't do it I'll head over to Cycle Imports.
    I'm in Santa Cruz right off of Ocean st. and the bike is a Honda Hawk (I guess the thing about the Honda batteries having issues continues)

Comment

Yep! Mine died on the Kilt Ride! :-/
      sigpic

Originally posted by epim
      Vampires MC. We ride motorcycles. We ride motorcycles fast. We're a family. We know where to hide the bodies.
      The_grinch: "Yes, I love colic and rectal thermometry."

Comment

Well, it's not their batteries, it's their charging systems. One is just a symptom of the other. Also, many honda sportbikes don't charge the battery at all below 4K rpm, which is why a ride through the city could run the battery flat.

You'll be able to figure out what's going on once the battery is charged and the bike is running.

"I love Satan and speedmetal" - Dylan

Comment

Charger must be 2 amp MAXIMUM! there are special trickle chargers just for bikes. A normal car charger will fry it so check the charger settings carefully. Most have multiple settings and you want the lowest.

FWIW if you don't ride the bike daily or the battery is two or more years old you are pretty much wasting time trying to bring it back to life. Even if it does work it will not have full cold cranking amp capacity and it will let you down when it counts.

Jump the bike from a non running car batt. to get it started and take voltage readings across the battery terminals once the jumper is removed. it shoulrd range a minimum of 12.5 or so @ idle and 13.5 or so at 2K rpm. No lower than 12.5 volts at any rpm or over 15 volts at high idle indicates a damamged reg/rect. assy. and putting a new battery in will not *fix* it. If readings are out of spec high or lower clean all battery contacts at both ends of both cables and recheck. Don't install a new batt. if charge output is too high.

Get back to us with your results and we'll try to get someone out to you with a wiring diagram and tools to help you trouble shoot it if need be.

Good luck and don't hesitate to chech back in with addition questions or prefferably a resolution.

Lon.
          "Through the course of my life, I've spent most of my money on motorcycles, drinking, drugs and chasing wild women. The rest of the money I just wasted."

I am the chosen one, the mighty hand of vengeance...
          ... sent down to strike the unroadworthy!

sigpic

Comment

I don't think it's been said yet:
            Check electrolyte levels - add distilled water or battery (sulfuric) acid if any cells are low.
            "Mathematics are the result of mysterious powers which no one understands, and which the unconscious recognition of beauty must play an important part. Out of an infinity of designs a mathematician chooses one pattern for beauty's sake and pulls it down to earth."

Marston Morse

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut View Post
              I don't think it's been said yet:
              Check electrolyte levels - add distilled water or battery (sulfuric) acid if any cells are low.

Modern batteries are sealed so I wouldn't worry about hydrometer testing or rely on topping them off. if they needed topping off they are toast. Buy a new one.

But, holding the battery up to the light and checking for even electrolyte levels *IS* a great Idea. If the the levels are low do NOT top off and recharge. It's a total waste of time. Toss it and replace the battery but make sure there is not an overcharge condition that will destroy the new battery first.

On modern batteries trying to refill fluids and coax them back to life is a big waste of fucking time unless your idea of a good time is pushing a bike home down hwy. 1 from Pescadero.

Don't fuck around. Just buy a new one once you *know* the charging system functions correctly.

And that's how it IS...

I can't promise you sticking your dick in a Diamond Backs mouth and zapping it with a cattle prod *will* get your pecker bitten but I can promise you it's a BAD FUCKING IDEA!

Don't tempt fate...
              Last edited by Rotten; 01-08-2010, 09:57 PM.
              "Through the course of my life, I've spent most of my money on motorcycles, drinking, drugs and chasing wild women. The rest of the money I just wasted."

sigpic

Comment

Yeah but the venom makes it swell so big!
                I've got your mother's maiden name tattooed on my arm...

Comment

So does my new "Scepter O' Doom".

If you want yer Johnson swollen that badly throw it down on table and I'll make it fat and hard for ya.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X