X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbee looking for old bike

Hi,

I’m a french guy living in Mexico city;
    I have been riding for 4 years now which will be since my 20.

I started with a Yamaha SR125, surely one of the less flattering bike one this earth but a good toy to learn about the road, starting with crashing on the motorway after no more that a week.

I rode it for about a year then passed my driving licence and bought a Kawasaki W650, the look of the old Bonneville, but much more than the new one for it has a kick, it sound great, and the chicks are crazy about it !
    I sold it when leaving France for Mexico, a sad moment, but the guy who bought it made a café racer out of it and will take it to England in September… so it keeps rocking

I have now a Yamaha FZS600 fazer, and that is why I’m here today.
    I bought the shit when I arrived in Mexico,
    For sure, it’s a good bike that took me to great places down here, but I miss my twin, torque, vibrations… and even if I made it street style to make it look a bit better, it does not gave me the same smile as when riding the W. Then I want to change.

The bike I am looking for is a Yamaha XS650,
    At best, a type 447 or 1H1 witch are the roadster versions, commercialized from 76 to 78 if I am right, just before the custom version.
    I am planning a trip to California to come and buy one and then take it back to Mexico passing by Baja California and all the Pacific coast. I hope to be able to take two weeks at the end of September or early October.

Looking for the net, I haven’t seen much of then although I guess it should be possible to find one according to the number of chopper using this base; I hope you guys can help me with providing addresses of used bikes shops, riders who would sell one, or any piece of information that could help me in my quest;
    Thanks in advance, and I hope to see you soon one the road or in a pub!

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/mcy/

A quick search for X650 finds parts and a partial basket case. Check often. Check LA, Phoenix, Las Vegas craigslist too, no reason you have to limit to bay area.
    "Mathematics are the result of mysterious powers which no one understands, and which the unconscious recognition of beauty must play an important part. Out of an infinity of designs a mathematician chooses one pattern for beauty's sake and pulls it down to earth."

Marston Morse

Comment

That sure I can extend my searching zone, But I have friends that can have me in there house in SF, and it will be easier to reach Baja california for the trip back.
      I was also thinking that maybe the californian coast was the best spot to find one, but it is nothing more than the idea of a french guy, and you know how odd there are ;-)

But for sure, if my future bike is in Texas, I will go there...

I have seen one in Pittsburgh this morning... Well, a bit TOO far...

Comment

Hi guys,

It has been hard, but I finally get some holidays, I will take a plane from Mexico to Ontario Wednesday 26th of September and have to be back at work Monday 08. The idea is to buy an old bike of those I like and to make a trip from California to Mexico city riding along Pacific Ocean.

1St problem,
        Then, I have to find a bike, let’s say, during the 4 fist days of my trip, I am looking preferably for a Yamaha XS650 between 1976 and 1982… that would be around L.A. or San Diego, or why not around S.F. So if you have any information about one of those that would be for sell… I will also look for any other 2 cylinders with similar engine size (between 500 and 750cc) for a price between 800 and 1500 dollars.
        If you have good shops and garages that you could advise me, it would be great too

2nd problem,
        I might have some kind of mechanic to make on the bike as a 20years old bike for that kind of money may need some attention before hitting the road for something like 3000miles… I will have in my suitcase the minimum stuff, but if some of you could give me a hand with providing a piece of garden for half a day, that would be marvelous!!!! Some advise may be very useful too…

3rd problem,
        I almost know nobody in California, so if some of you want to join me for a beer or a ride, it would be great!

4th problem,
        I still don’t know what kind of difficulties I will have to face passing the border with a US bike… Hope to find some answers this week end.

Comment

Working...
        X