Ironbutt Saddlesore 1000 ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ironbutt Saddlesore 1000 ride

I'm planning on doing a Saddlesore 1000/Bunburner 1500 ride in early July during Sun's shutdown week (July 3-10).

Here's the rules for Ironbutt certified rides:
    http://www.ironbutt.com/ridecerts/ge...nt.cfm?DocID=1

Tentatively leave Santa Cruz at 7:00 AM on 7/3/04, ride on I-5 to Portland, then on to Boise via I-84 (arrive around midnight ~1040 miles in 17 hours). Sleep in motel in Boise, shower and head for Yellowstone, leaving by 9:30 AM (~500 miles, mostly interstate) arrive at campground by 6:00 PM.

It would be great if some vampires or others did this trip. Dave and I have been kicking it around a bit, time to get it a bit more organized.
    "Mathematics are the result of mysterious powers which no one understands, and which the unconscious recognition of beauty must play an important part. Out of an infinity of designs a mathematician chooses one pattern for beauty's sake and pulls it down to earth."

Marston Morse

Re: Ironbutt Saddlesore 1000 ride

I would love to come, but I can't go to Oregon. Could we go through Nevada?
    First poster of 2007.
    First Poster of 2010.

Yes Ladies, I AM the guy your mother warned you about.

Comment

Barrett,

Please explain...

Lionel

Comment

Me and the Oregon state police have a history of love and hate. I hate them, but they want me to stay for a while in thier nice state facilities.
        First poster of 2007.
        First Poster of 2010.

Comment

A straight shot to Yellowstone via Nevada/Utah is ~ 1020 miles. Means no bunburner 1500 pin, but could be good for the saddlesore 1000.

Hmm, maybe have two groups, meet up in Yellowstone?

"Mathematics are the result of mysterious powers which no one understands, and which the unconscious recognition of beauty must play an important part. Out of an infinity of designs a mathematician chooses one pattern for beauty's sake and pulls it down to earth."

Marston Morse

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.B
            Me and the Oregon state police have a history of love and hate. I hate them, but they want me to stay for a while in thier nice state facilities.

WOW, our very own "Johnny Outlaw" !

Comment

Originally posted by beemerpledge
              I'm planning on doing a Saddlesore 1000/Bunburner 1500 ride in early July during Sun's shutdown week (July 3-10).

Here's the rules for Ironbutt certified rides:
              http://www.ironbutt.com/ridecerts/ge...nt.cfm?DocID=1

Tentatively leave Santa Cruz at 7:00 AM on 7/3/04, ride on I-5 to Portland, then on to Boise via I-84 (arrive around midnight ~1040 miles in 17 hours). Sleep in motel in Boise, shower and head for Yellowstone, leaving by 9:30 AM (~500 miles, mostly interstate) arrive at campground by 6:00 PM.

It would be great if some vampires or others did this trip. Dave and I have been kicking it around a bit, time to get it a bit more organized.
              Doing two groups to avoid the Oregon problem is feasible. We'd want to pick a campground for rendezvous at Yellowstone, could have both groups leave same day (non Oregon group has extra day at Yellowstone) or have the non Oregon group leave a day later...

I don't know how many are interested still. I'm definitely planning on doing the 2 pin ride (Bun Burner 1500/SaddleSore 1000) via Oregon.

How does this look to others? I'm wondering if I'll have any companions on the road or if this will be solo.

Marston Morse

Comment

Whats the trip look like for the non-Oregon riders? How many hours/miles straight? and how many days total? I dont suppose there will be a chase truck, lol. Hmmmm, anyone hear of ape hangers for an SV?
                You Suck

Comment

Mr. B...tell them them truth, they are thinking that you are this big bad outlaw biker now... ;D
                  Time to pledge for the HA!!!!

Which is sorta misleading...LOL!

Let's just say I have the same problem with Oregon as Mr. B does, for the same reasons...haha!

It's all about Oregon adhering to their speed limits which are less than California's...

Comment

Originally posted by u_cant_prove_it
                    Whats the trip look like for the non-Oregon riders? How many hours/miles straight? and how many days total? I dont suppose there will be a chase truck, lol. Hmmmm, anyone hear of ape hangers for an SV?

SC to Yellowstone is about 1050 miles - must be done in 24 hours to qualify for saddlesore 1000 pin. See earlier webpage for details.

No chase truck, sorry. Don't attempt this if you're not sure of your bike's mechanical soundness.

The annual ironbutt rally is something else again. We may want to have some volunteers for the CA leg of it in the next couple of years - gives us a leg up for getting picked to take part in the actual rally.

Marston Morse

Comment

drop me from the trek as I won't be able to attend.
                      First poster of 2007.
                      First Poster of 2010.

Comment

At this point it looks like Rev Dave and I, on BMW R1150RTs.

Day One Ben Lomond - Eastern OR/Boise via Portland. 1050+ miles
                        Day Two Yellowstone. 500 +/- miles
                        Day Three-Five yellowstone/Grand Teton 300 +/- miles
                        Day Six Wyoming to Nevada 450-600 miles
                        Day Seven return to Ben Lomond 550-700 miles

We'll be stopping for gas about every 200 miles, although we could got for more often if there are other bikes that don't have the awesome cruising range we have (6.5 gallon tank, 40 mpg).

Leaving July 3 in the early hours (5:00 AM?), as we've got a long day of riding.

Marston Morse

Comment

Looks like we hours of July 4 for departure. Will make it to Lonnie's party on Saturday for a little while, then get bike packed for trip.

Schedule still looks about like it did in most recent post. 36 hours to Yellowstone via Portland/Boise (1580 + miles in 36 hours). 3 days in Yellowstone area, then 2 days back via shorter route (Utah/Nevada).

Cost of about $600 - should come in under this, but I like to over estimate, then have money for souvenirs, gambling, etc.

At present it is Dave and I. Others are welcome.

Marston Morse

Comment

Working...
                          X