Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I got my Zen

Originally posted by dollarbill

One of my sisters' boyfriends let me shoot a 12 gauge shotgun when I was about 13, probably my first experience. Kicked hard, but didn't knock me down.
    While far from my first shooting experience, I did have a misshap shooting trap with a shotgun at the now defunct Eagle Rock Gun Club range. They had just installed a new trap house and I was using a friends 1912 Winchester model 12 (12 Ga. of course). This antique bastard was equipped with a steel butt plate that made grown men cry after a few rounds into the shoulder. We were shooting double pigeons. Trying to get both with each throw. I was warming up and doing well, after a few dozen throws I had a problem with the gun after picking off the first pigeon I sighted and pulled the trigger on the second and nothing happened. I turned the gun over to view the right side and realized I hadn't slid the chamber all the way shut. Well without thinking about it first I slid the chamber home but unfortunately I had neglected to release the trigger first and the gun fired off and that steel butt plate caugt me square in the jaw. Didn't break it but It did spin me into the air in a backwards 360. Very purple for awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by Goose

Only if you happen to HAVE a .41 mag. already old bean. Happens I DO have a .357 mag. revolver and it IS my favorite handgun round but my reasoning is that I'll get to shoot rarely so a .44 mag. rifle would be funner and there is a high likelyhood I'll obtain another .44 mag. revolver sometime down the road so rounds willl be shared.
      Right, which (sharing ammunition) is why I would get a lever action in .41 mag. I like the round, like the thick heavy bullets... .44 mag would take thick heavy bullet to a new dimension... Favorite rounds can easily become a religious war though. 7.62x{39,51,54} or .223 anybody? I like all 4, each for its own special quality.

.357 is a much more common round. Don't remember pricing on ammo on .357, but probably less than I've had to pay for .41. Plus usually one can get factory reloads on it, at least I've seen .357 and .38 sold that way at gun shows. Makes me think a .357 revolver is in my future, just for budget reasons.

Of course if I were on top of things I'd just get a .41 mag die and load my own rounds. Hmm, do local ranges have chronoscopes? Have a reloading party one day, go to range the next?

"Mathematics are the result of mysterious powers which no one understands, and which the unconscious recognition of beauty must play an important part. Out of an infinity of designs a mathematician chooses one pattern for beauty's sake and pulls it down to earth."

Marston Morse

Comment

Favorite rounds can easily become a religious war though. 7.62x{39,51,54} or .223 anybody? I like all 4, each for its own special quality.
        As stated in a previous post, I am all about the .223 via Ruger Mini 14 and I am seriously considering picking up a stainless wooden stock version. Russian made 7.62 rifles on sale now for $79-.

Comment

Originally posted by twostroke
          A stainless steel,or a wooden stock with out stain? the .223 is a nice gun,what it is used for?. I'l have to ask?. .

From a historical perspective? Killing communists mostly. .223 was the size of the M16/AR15 Colt models althogh the ones used in Vietnam were actualy made by Mattel I've been told.
          http://world.guns.ru/assault/as18-e.htm

The Ruger Mini 14 is much more civilized (looking anyway) and is civilian legal.
          http://world.guns.ru/assault/as37-e.htm

Comment

Originally posted by twostroke
            A stainless steel,or a wooden stock with out stain? the .223 is a nice gun,what it is used for?. I'l have to ask?. .
            .223 is a nice light bullet, goes fast out of the muzzle. It is a bit more susceptible to wind as it travels down range than the various 7.62 mm (that's .308 calibre if you haven't done the conversion). Probably been used more for punching holes in paper than anything else, although it is the primary infantry round used by US armed forces, so it has killed commies, ragheads, gooks, etc... probably easiest to just say designated enemies of the US.

7.62x39 is the round fired by AK-47 and SKS soviet rifles as they were originally chambered. Heavy round, not a lot of powder behind it due to the short case. Benefits were lighter ammunition means less weight to carry, more rounds fit in a storage bunker in comparison to the NATO standard round of 7.62x51. It is also possible to fire 7.62x39 in a rifle chambered for 7.62x51, although it isn't recommended.

The 7.62x51 is pretty much the same round as .308 winchester. Nice heavy bullets with plenty of powder behind them. Adopted by NATO after WWII, prior to which 7.62x54 was the US round, and other future NATO members had their own choices (.303 was british round, IIRC french used 7.5 mm, etc).

7.62x54 is .30-06, a round for a rifle designed nearly 100 years ago. Still a good round. Same heavy bullets as 7.62x51, with a slightly longer case and muzzle velocity.
            "Mathematics are the result of mysterious powers which no one understands, and which the unconscious recognition of beauty must play an important part. Out of an infinity of designs a mathematician chooses one pattern for beauty's sake and pulls it down to earth."

Marston Morse

Comment

OK, you are starting to scare the kids now, change the subject. Why do you guys just drive out to the compound In Indiana and bring all your toys, and just shoot up every thing to get it out of your system. It sounds like you are having sex with your guns? Scarey.
              But if we are on the topic, I am fond of the polymer-frame M-5 Ultra X Compact, it measures a tad under seven inches overall with a 3 1/7-inch barrel. There are also midsize Commander versions, standard models with 5-inch barrels and the classy M-5 IPSC with adjustable sights and other competition goodies. In addition, the company's got the Czech-made polymer-framed ZDA, a DA number in 9mm and .40 S&W. 8) nice............. and it fits well in the tank bag
              You Suck

Comment

the .223 is a nice round, good for small holes. the 7.62 is good for rapid fire/ killing deer. the .50 cal is great for killing the neighbors cat/ truck. but my personal preference is the german made 120mm. a nice all around type round. has a good range of 2-3 kilometers. also works well up close.

Comment

Originally posted by dirty_j
                  the .223 is a nice round, good for small holes. the 7.62 is good for rapid fire/ killing deer. the .50 cal is great for killing the neighbors cat/ truck. but my personal preference is the german made 120mm. a nice all around type round. has a good range of 2-3 kilometers. also works well up close.
                  The way I see it, If you are up close, wouldnt a 2 x 4 work wonderfully also?
                  You Suck

Comment

Originally posted by u_cant_prove_it
                    The way I see it, If you are up close, wouldnt a 2 x 4 work wonderfully also?
                    Gotta have nails sticking through it to be effective.

Marston Morse

Comment

Gotta have nails sticking through it to be effective.

Nein. They will get stuck and it will be difficult to pull the board free for repeated blows. In spite of what you saw in "Escape From New York", killing someone with nails is much harder than multiple blunt force trauma.

Comment

".223 is a nice light bullet, goes fast out of the muzzle."

Hmm, as opposed to those other bullets that accelerate -after- they leave the muzzle ? [insert beer bet here, and double or nothing on the similar bow-and-arrow bet]
                        T.

// board

Comment

Originally posted by Timmeh
                          ".223 is a nice light bullet, goes fast out of the muzzle."

Hmm, as opposed to those other bullets that accelerate -after- they leave the muzzle ? [insert beer bet here, and double or nothing on the similar bow-and-arrow bet]
                          T.

// board
                          trolling?

As opposed to heavier bullets that get accerated less (F=MA) for a given force. Muzzle velocity is NOT independent of bullet mass. A 180 grain bullet will have a lower muzzle velocity than a 55 grain bullet given the same chamber pressure (Same powder load essentially, although differences in chamber geometry will also have seccond order effects on chamber pressure).

There is an exception that does accelerate after leaving the barrel - the gyrojet. Never seen one, but there apparently was a handheld rocket launcher that had self propelled bullets.

Marston Morse

Comment

i dont know which is worse, bike-geeks, or gun-geeks.....

Comment

All you scare me.......................... Damb geeks

Comment

Working...
                              X