Gloomy article in SJ Mercury News..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gloomy article in SJ Mercury News..

For once the SJ mercury News had a Q&A with motorcyclists it really was a depressing one.. I wish they would also write articles to celebrate the joy of riding..
    http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/12051553.htm

Re: Gloomy article in SJ Mercury News..

thats nice, but i dont have a subscription. need a password, bro.

Comment

Yes,to sign-up they want Your 1st born too,as for the local crowd; June 27th,lower front page and page 17a,second @ July 4th,back side of front page is the Q&A,all found in the San Jose Mercury News.

Comment

care to post it, so the rest of us can read it? ???

Comment

Jean Francis may be abel to help with this,I just dug down on the hard copy side of things,like paper.

Comment

Every article less than 7 days old can be read online for free. You need to sign up (it's free! and quick) and they will give you a username and password. I do not copy/paste these articles anymore because the space for each posting is limited and they never fit.

Comment

Story on fatal motorcycle crash touches hearts of longtime riders

By Gary Richards

Mercury News Staff Columnist

Mr. Roadshow's recent story about the San Jose Police Department's accident traffic team investigation of a fatal motorcycle crash drew dozens of calls, letters and e-mails.

Q I ride a motorcycle to work and I read your piece on the fatality of Bruno Chiarenza (Roadshow, June 27). I feel like a deflated balloon. I can't even describe my feelings at this moment. I think every rider realizes that motorcycling is dangerous. It's always in the back of my mind every time I take my bike out of the garage. And I try to ride as defensively as I can. I definitely want to return home to my family at the end of the day. Maybe you should do a ``Motorcycle Day'' or something like that. I think your column should be a reality check for a lot of riders.

Karthik Ramadoss

A A reality check may be needed. Motorcycling has never been more popular, and the number of motorcyclists dying on state roads continues to rise, from 235 in 1997 to 351 last year, an alarming 49 percent increase. Nearly half of motorcyclists killed nationwide were 40 or older, and nationwide deaths have gone up each year since 1997. A leading cause -- aging baby boomers on powerful motorcycles they can't always handle.

Q Your article on the grim aspect of traffic was touching. I actually felt like I was at the scene with you. It was eerie reading about the victim's cell phone ringing. My husband has wanted to get a motorcycle for years, and I have been adamant about saying no. Lately, I have eased up a bit in my thinking. However, this just cemented my decision. Thank you for a realistic look at the grim side of the road.

Julie Buck
              San Jose

A And . . .

Q Your article was another reminder that I did the right thing when I ceased being a motorcyclist three years ago. At the time, I had been a motorcyclist for about 25 years and enjoyed it tremendously. However, the time came when I realized I had gotten older and might not heal well if I were hurt in an accident. Also, I noticed the increased traffic and higher speeds. So I donated my cherished Honda 750 Custom to charity and cried like a baby. I made the right decision even though something wonderful went out of my life.

Sharon Dannemiller
              Newark

A I wish other older motorcyclists shared your wisdom. Over the last few years the average age of motorcyclists killed rose from 29 to 37.

Q The coroner who called the destroyed motorcycle a ``screwy thing'' was illustrating his ignorance and you just helped him perpetuate the ignorance. Motorcycles are not dangerous. People who ride them may be reckless and motorists sharing the road may be inattentive, but neither of those has anything to do with the motorcycle. Improved training is the answer to most accidents involving motorcycles. Vilifying the motorcycle does no more good than vilifying the car involved in a crash.

George Leavell
              Gilroy

A Some motorcyclists would say the bike can be the problem.

Q I was sorry to hear about this fatality. Very grim indeed, even more so when it is not apparent what caused the solo accident. My condolences to his family. The Suzuki GSXR 1300 (the Huyabusa) that he was riding is touted as the fastest production street bike on the planet, and according to Suzuki, engineered for experienced riders. I have the GSXR 750 and a slight twist of the throttle will rocket you off the line and can sometimes give even experienced riders a piece of humble pie. Trust me when I tell you that your full 100 percent attention is required at all times when riding such a powerful machine. The GSXRs are very unforgiving to even the slightest rider error. Believe me, this accident will stick in my head for a long time as a reminder that motorcycling is inherently dangerous.

Dirk Reynolds
              Santa Clara

A Why are older bikers at more risk? Think about it: inexperience -- many motorcycle purchases are being made by riders new to biking as well as by motorcyclists who may not have ridden for years. Other factors: overconfidence and drinking, plus the tendency among older riders to take all-day road trips, exposing them to road hazards for longer periods.

Comment

Where the hell is the actual story they keep talking about? You cant do this, gimmie the god damn story you little french fucker!
                You Suck

Comment

I like when you talk dirty.. I m just a tease anyway ;D

PS The original article is more than 7 days old.. only for paid subscribers..

Comment

Pay the people damn it, you started it
                    You Suck

Comment

Working...
                    X