Paying for air ?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paying for air ?!?!

I was on my way in to work this morning, when I noticed my tire pressure looked a little low. I pulled into the Shell Station at the corner of 7th & Capitola Ave, to use their air/water machine. As has been standard practice, I walked inside and asked the attendant behind the counter for a couple of tokens for the air pump. The guy told me to put in two quarters to turn on the air. I told him that it's illegal to charge people to use the air pump, but he just shrugged and said "sorry that's the owner's policy".

Can anyone verify the legal stance on this subject?

Re: Paying for air ?!?!

They are required to provide these services to "gas customers".
    Most stations have a button behing the counter to turn on the compressor from there.
    You Suck

Comment

I purchase gasoline from them at least once a week. I just happened to already have a full tank when I pulled in.
      I also mentioned to the monkey that I happen to be a Shell Platinum Select member. His response to that was hand me a business card of the owner and said once again, "It's his policy".

FWIW, I just closed my Platinum account and cut up the card.

Comment

F*ing A, it's been a piss-poor customer service week. Just to begin with, I'd like to let you know that Mark and I have run into that problem in the past with gas pump monkeys being pricks about the air. I mean, really. Dur.

My big beef this week is not bike related at all (so I won't write a whole post about it), but I would like to just state for the record that I absolutely loathe UPS.

Comment

Youre not having UPS move you, are you?
          You Suck

Comment

I spoke with the Department of Weights & Measures last night.
            As it's written, the gas stations have to provide their air and water at no charge, as long as your a paying customer.
            This is still true even if your only buying a nickel's worth of petrol

This morning I pulled back into the same Shell Station, to the pump closest to the monkey's cage. I put in my VISA card, 3% of which goes to service fess, and purchased $0.10 worth of their finest 87 octane. :P

Just to be a wise ass, I'll be making the same fuel stop, at least once a day for the next month, just to spend one dime and ding them with the VISA service fee.

Once you've spent your nickle, dime, quarter or whatever, they're required to give you the air tokens if asked. Whether you need to use the air machine or not, always ask for some tokens. You never know when your going to need air! 8)

Comment

All you have to do is go to a busy place and go inside and ask them to turn on the pump, and most will. They have no way of knowing if you got gas. Unless you go to a place where they have a monkey cage, then they have nothing better to do than watch for air stealing, non petrol purchasing free loaders! ;D
              You Suck

Comment

There are no busy service stations in Santa Cruz at 6:30am.
                Besides, I'm no longer just trying to put air in my tires. I'm out to put the screws to 'em >

Service Charge <DING>
                Service Charge <DING>
                Service Charge <DING> ;D

Comment

Does this station have a name? I just filled up last night, so I have plenty of room for gas. Heck maybe even two trips worth.
                  You Suck

Comment

SHELL SERIVCE STATION on 7th & Capitola Avenue.
                    Going to drop by on the way home and get my nickel's worth

Comment

OH I always get my gas at the Shell Station on Water and Ocean... Hope they are nicer there. At least they let me get the keys for the restrooms for free

Comment

The last time I used the air pump at the Shell Station on Ocean & Water there was no coinbox attached to the pump.
                        You just press the go button and start your pumping.

Comment

Life is good again!!! Thank you for the good news mr "Magnum"...

Comment

Originally posted by Gromit
                            There are no busy service stations in Santa Cruz at 6:30am.
                            Besides, I'm no longer just trying to put air in my tires. I'm out to put the screws to 'em >

Service Charge <DING>
                            Service Charge <DING>
                            Service Charge <DING> ;D
                            You are one hilarious, insane, endearing, and nutty man and what you are doing totally cracks me up. Keep up the good work and keep fighting for our air rights!

Comment

Jason, I recommend you drill a hole through the token and tie a string through it so you can fish it back out after the pump turns on. Stick a nail or other object into the nozzle end so it will stay open and ride away while flipping 'em the bird.

Repeat as needed.

Hmmmm... it appears that I also, may have too much time on my hands to given this matter this much thought.

Comment

Working...
                              X