Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San Luis Osbispo via Big Sur

Hi Folks,

Steve and myself are planning on a ride down to SLO town via Big Sur on Saturday. Right now this is looking like a lazy over night trip. Besides the nice trip down the coast, there are a couple of breweries we would like to visit down there. DownTown Brew in downtown SLO
    http://www.downtownbrew.com/new/home.html
    Where we might find a hotel in walking distance, and Firestone Walker in Paso Robles
    http://www.firestonebeer.com/
    for lunch one the way back.

Anthony might be able to go if we leave later in the day, so right now the departure time is undecided. If we leave earlier, we could stop at Hearst Castle.

The trip back will be on some road along 101. Steve has promised that there is a nice ride back, and will post details.
    Anyone else interested in joining us?
    shane

A nice ride back is to turn back westward at Greenfield or Soledad and head towards Arroyo Seco. Then turn right on to Carmel Vally rd. The roads destination is apparent by the name. A great riding road except for a few unpaved spots.
    "Through the course of my life, I've spent most of my money on motorcycles, drinking, drugs and chasing wild women. The rest of the money I just wasted."

I am the chosen one, the mighty hand of vengeance...
    ... sent down to strike the unroadworthy!

sigpic

Comment

Nacimiento-Ferguson Road is an awesome ride, but it's gravelly in parts and there are some sharp turns with no guard-rails. It's a great ride if you like wilderness and spectacular views, but if you want to rail it's a bad idea.

Also, it runs through Fort Hunter-Ligget, so if you go that way make sure you have your license, registration and insurance in order and on your person.
      Last edited by wackyiraqi; 08-24-2007, 04:32 PM.

"Far be it from me to question your stupid civilization or its dumb customs."—Philip J. Fry

Comment

Im tryin to get done with moving early, and I will call you if I get done at a reasonable time, otherwise have a good ride guys. Anthony.

Comment

Trip officially postponed

So we are officially postponing the trip so more people can go, and so we can go on the 81 ride tomorrow.

When would be a good weekend for others? I don't think next weekend will be a good weekend to go. And there are Vampire rides on the 22nd and 29th, which I think I would like to attend. So maybe the 8th or the 15th?

This is the route for the trip back
          http://tinyurl.com/2lopgu
          which should be fun. I've been on some of those roads before, and like wackyiraqi said, you want to have your papers in order. Also you want to be mindful of your speed, but I'm expecting this to be a lazy ride anyways (its 175 miles, so we have to make it last. Get home too early and you'll end up with a honey-do list)

Shane

Comment

Myself, Steve and Justin have been talking of going on a ride next sunday..?
            "... if you let the fly live, the spider is going to die. You can't save both without one suffering.."
            "Taking on a vampire at night is a mission for morons and fools - which are you?"

"A storm is coming - our storm. And when it comes it will shake the universe."

sigpic
            Kralizec

Comment

Originally posted by wackyiraqi View Post
              Nacimiento-Ferguson Road is an awesome ride, but it's gravelly in parts and there are some sharp turns with no guard-rails. It's a great ride if you like wilderness and spectacular views, but if you want to rail it's a bad idea.

Also, it runs through Fort Hunter-Ligget, so if you go that way make sure you have your license, registration and insurance in order and on your person.

I used to make that a day trip loop all the time. Down Big Sup, up Nacimiento and then back through Carmel Vally. About 250 Miles if I recall but there is a serious gas shortage in those areas. Nacimiento is O.K. going up but not so much going down despite the better view.

I've been turned back at Hunter Ligget a few times for maneuvers and such in the past before the bases where locked down in '01 so haven't tried it since. I went through there one time during a controlled burn. The one time they had good reason to keep me out for safety they waved me through and were laughing. Figured it out later is a rode through sections of dense smoke unable to breath or see the road with flames licking my tires as they blew across the road. My boots and pants were smoldering when I got through.

Assholes.
              "Through the course of my life, I've spent most of my money on motorcycles, drinking, drugs and chasing wild women. The rest of the money I just wasted."

I am the chosen one, the mighty hand of vengeance...
              ... sent down to strike the unroadworthy!

sigpic

Comment

Heh. I've actually never done it on a bike, and I've always come in the other side.

I used to camp down there with my brother and a bunch of friends, even back before the road was paved. We camped for six years in a row, then got kicked out at gunpoint by Monterey County Sheriff and never went back. That was probably 95 or 96 when that happened.

Never had any problems on the Hunter-Ligget side, though, just the fucking dick Sheriff's deputies on the National Park side. I'm sure things changed in 2001, but AFAIK they still let people through as long as they have current DMV paperwork.

Originally posted by Goose View Post
                I used to make that a day trip loop all the time. Down Big Sup, up Nacimiento and then back through Carmel Vally. About 250 Miles if I recall but there is a serious gas shortage in those areas. Nacimiento is O.K. going up but not so much going down despite the better view.

I've been turned back at Hunter Ligget a few times for maneuvers and such in the past before the bases where locked down in '01 so haven't tried it since. I went through there one time during a controlled burn. The one time they had good reason to keep me out for safety they waved me through and were laughing. Figured it out later is a rode through sections of dense smoke unable to breath or see the road with flames licking my tires as they blew across the road. My boots and pants were smoldering when I got through.

Assholes.

"Far be it from me to question your stupid civilization or its dumb customs."—Philip J. Fry

Comment

Working...
                X