computer CPU help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• computer CPU help

computer CPU help, all web Browsers e-mail, ect. at 100% CPU load, any computer folks have any help it worked just fine last week?, yep have the lattest flash and tried chrome,ie8,ff4,and advent all the same, is a mem chip failing? or some kinda setting?. 2.4 GHZ and 512 gigs ram and have updated bios. 2 minutes to check yahoo mail !!!!. TIA
    Die trying,trying to Die.

Cashing Satan's checks with my dick in my hand.
    Sometimes you gotta fuck a guy up and sometimes you gotta drink some chocolate milk.

Comment

no way you have 512 GB of ram, it is uncommon for large SMP servers to have that much, let alone a PC.

problem persists after a reboot?
      What else is running? WinDoze machine? Process monitor can show you what is hogging the cpu. My guess would be an infection of some kind, run your anti-virus software and remove the malware.

Failing that a reinstall of OS should take care of it.
      "Mathematics are the result of mysterious powers which no one understands, and which the unconscious recognition of beauty must play an important part. Out of an infinity of designs a mathematician chooses one pattern for beauty's sake and pulls it down to earth."

Marston Morse

Comment

How does it act if you boot it into safe mode with networking?
        --
        Keith Seric Maynard
        http://www.seric.com

Comment

Originally posted by twostroke View Post
          2.4 GHZ and 512 gigs ram
          Ermm. Your computer is a dinosaur minus the advantage of providing us fossil fuels Tim. There is no reasonable expectation this antique has worked as long as it has. It should have been replaced at least five years ago.
          Last edited by Rotten; 05-04-2011, 06:45 PM.
          "Through the course of my life, I've spent most of my money on motorcycles, drinking, drugs and chasing wild women. The rest of the money I just wasted."

I am the chosen one, the mighty hand of vengeance...
          ... sent down to strike the unroadworthy!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut View Post
            no way you have 512 GB of ram, it is uncommon for large SMP servers to have that much, let alone a PC.
            He means 512 megs RAM. That was outdated in '06 I think.
            "Through the course of my life, I've spent most of my money on motorcycles, drinking, drugs and chasing wild women. The rest of the money I just wasted."

sigpic

Comment

Don't take it personally Tim. It just IS. Every time you allow a program update you vastly increase the room needed to run it and decrease your available resources. All your updates mean that this works best today on yesterdays hardware. Not 2005 hardware.
              Last edited by Rotten; 05-04-2011, 06:50 PM.

sigpic

Comment

My only machine is a 1.6 with 2GB of RAM, and more than adequate.

I like Linux though... Ubuntu is extremely easy to use
                Originally posted by the_grinch
                ‎@Thatch-you sound just like an old athlete that can't face the fact that his best years are behind him. Josh would crash on the way to your funeral just to take that pin off your corpse.
                Originally posted by Beauregard
                give me some time to get used to not riding a Harley you young whippersnapper and i'll teach you some manners

Comment

The key being 2gb ram vs. 512mb there. (And a non bloated OS)

Two things to try
                  1. With 512 and any flavor of Windows you are going to be hitting virtual memory which is based out of the hard disk (also called swap space). This means your hard drive health can affect application speed. Try defragmenting the drive (depending on the flavor of windows, somewhere in theadministrative tools)

2. For the love of all that is holy get more ram... Find out what the max ammount your computer can hold and fill it. Older memory types are dirt cheap these days
                  I've got your mother's maiden name tattooed on my arm...

Comment

If 512 MB of RAM is installed and he's running Windows XP or later he should look at spending a few bucks and getting more RAM.

But he said he's seeing a new problem - the bad performance is a recent phenomenon. Probably some form of malware needs to be removed.
                    "Mathematics are the result of mysterious powers which no one understands, and which the unconscious recognition of beauty must play an important part. Out of an infinity of designs a mathematician chooses one pattern for beauty's sake and pulls it down to earth."

Marston Morse

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut View Post
                      If 512 MB of RAM is installed and he's running Windows XP or later he should look at spending a few bucks and getting more RAM.

But he said he's seeing a new problem - the bad performance is a recent phenomenon. Probably some form of malware needs to be removed.
                      yes MB not GB, ran all the scans for malware and virus stuff all clean. Ran speed test on network and no blockage there, ran memtest86 all good, ran prime95 all good it is just web pages that load the cpu @ 100% other apps. run without any problem. in msconfig i shut down all non win apps. and unnessary win services. task manager shows that the web browser, all 4 load the cpu 100% until a page finish to load. static cpu= 1-3% and mem= 150-155 mb in use, surf to a new page or link cpu=100%.
                      Die trying,trying to Die.

Comment

Trying running FireFox with FlashBlock installed, see if that cuts down the CPU spike (if its Flash hogging it). Might just be a problem with the latest Flash plugins. (alternatively uninstall flash and try with any of the browsers)

Since it's recent and specifically browser based, it might be some bit of malware not yet detected (or one that has disabled the AV itself). Dust off and nuke the site from orbit...only way to be sure in that case. (back up your files first of course)
                        I've got your mother's maiden name tattooed on my arm...

Comment

Working...
                        X