Yellowstone, Denver, Utah, Nevada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yellowstone, Denver, Utah, Nevada

Just got back from this trip and figured I'd do a quick writeup...

Saturday June 28: Gwynne offers a ride to Yellowstone. I decide to replace the chain on my SV1000 before the trip, only to find a leaky clutch slave. No way I can get the part in time.

Sunday June 29: I get in touch with my mom, and get permission to ride my late father's SuperDuke. It's a similar bike to mine, although it has some differences. At the beginning of this trip it had 41xx miles on it, and a fairly fresh set of S20s. Now it's at 70xx with a rear almost showing cords. However, it did admirably, with mountain passes up past 11,300ft. It stumbled a little around 3800rpm at altitude, which it doesn't do at sea level, but it wasn't hard to ride around or through the stumble.

Monday, June 30: Pack for the trip. Drive the car from SLO to Berkeley. Find the tank bag for the KTM. Realize it's smaller than I expected, pack less. Inventory: 1 pair jeans, 4 pairs socks/underwear/tshirts, Cyclegear Heat Out upper/lower, 1 piece leathers, Sidi Vertigo Corsas, helmet/gloves, small snacks/5 hour energy, plug kit, toothbrush, deodorant. Ride over to Gwynne's, toss the bike in the truck. Leave at 7:30 or 8pm. Drive until it's almost getting light out again in Eastern NV, not yet to Elko. Pull over and nap for an hour and a half. Deal with a massive dog that isn't very happy most of the time.

Tuesday, July 1: Wake up when it starts getting lighter out, maybe 5:30am. Hit the road again. Keep going until we get there, 6:30pm? Continue dealing with dog. Unload the KTM. Ride 100 miles to Hoback Campground, freeze my ass off sleeping in a sleeping bag on the ground. http://goo.gl/maps/xNfmi

Wednesday, July 2: Wake up early, cold. Hit the road before 6am because there's nothing else to do. Grab coffee and a breakfast burrito in Daniel, WY. Warm up for the better part of an hour, as my fingers had been pretty damn frozen (painful and numb). Continue down 191 through Flaming Gorge to 40 past Dinosaur, into the mountains, up past 11,300ft in passes. End up at my aunts' house in Denver to find out they're getting married in less than a week (Tuesday July 8) but that I don't have the time to stay. http://goo.gl/maps/hQklX

Thursday, July 3: Hang out, catch up with people. Drive down to a National Forest to go shooting with my cousin, get caught in a serious thunderstorm. Lightning hit less than 100yd away, I could taste it even in the truck.

Friday, July 4: Go on a ride with someone from the internet who lives in Fort Collins. Go through Estes Park to Lyons for lunch. He had to work at lunch, so my cousin and I decided to try shooting again, this time in Pawnee Grasslands. It was dry when we showed up, but started raining right away. After a little rain it paused, but didn't look like it would stay away. I decided it would be a good idea to leave. When I tried to do so, I found that the road had turned to muck for a few hundred yards. It was sticky enough that it jammed between my front tire and fender, and the bike decided to take a nap. Normally when you're sliding around gassing it helps, but when the front tire is locked it just makes it worse. Oops. Luckily, no damage to it that I could find, or to me (other than a bruised ego). However, the shift lever somehow flipped around so I couldn't downshift at all. It took a few upshifts to find that, leaving the bike unrideable and I didn't have tools with me. I called the aforementioned internet friend and he hooked up his trailer and came and got me out. He brought an allen wrench so we could get the shift lever back in place, and we cleaned up the bike (not to pristine, but so dirt didn't get in the way - it wouldn't stay pristine anyway). Chain got special attention, of course. Got back on the bike and rode back down to Denver. http://goo.gl/maps/IwSKo

Saturday, July 5: Relatives in town from WY, hung out and caught up with people.

Sunday, July 6: Got out the door around 7:30am, later than I wanted because my sleeping bag had been locked in the truck. Rode through a few mountain passes on the way through the mountains, bike continued to do reasonably well at altitude. Maybe it felt like an SV650, but that's to be expected up there. 285 and 50 were pretty and reasonably fun. Million Dollar Highway was pretty, but slow with lots of traffic. Good for some riders, not quite what I was looking for. After Cortez, and in NM/AZ, it sucked. I've now ridden in AZ twice and haven't liked either time. Got into UT and it got prettier and more fun. 163 had what they called "unimproved road" which scared me, but it was well graded and very easy. Ran into a couple on F800GSs on it. Decided to spend a bit more than I wanted for a motel in Hanksville rather than camping after a 700+mi day. http://goo.gl/maps/takV6

Monday, July 7: Hit the road around 7am. When I left Denver, after the mud fiasco, I decided not to do dirt. At the start of the day, and feeling good, I saw a sign pointing to Burr Trail. What I didn't realize is that this wasn't the normal way in, and was probably less pretty and more difficult than the typical way. I did something like 40mi off pavement, with plenty of washboard as well as silt/sand. My entrance was through Notom. Once I got to Burr Trail itself, it got significantly easier. Very pretty. I wouldn't suggest the Notom entrance on street tires/suspension, though. Once Burr Trail went back to pavement it was fun, although posted at absurdly low speed limits. I'm glad I didn't get caught. Got back on 12, and got stuck in traffic. Saw the turnoff to Devil's Backbone, which had been recommended. Also pretty, and much less challenging than Notom. However, it was very slow in places. 48 miles total, all gravel. Got back to pavement, and made my way down (through very pretty areas, around Bryce Canyon National Park) to Zion. Traffic sucked, as expected for a National Park. Before getting into Enterprise I went through a pretty nasty thunderstorm. Got thoroughly soaked, which I wasn't prepared for. Out on NF roads, I ended up taking a wrong turn resulting in significantly more dirt mileage. 40 miles on gravel got me out to 93. Lots of it was washboarded, with significant tirespin. Inspecting my back tire at a gas station scared me, I was on the wearbars on a tire that was at 37psi cold that looked fine that morning. I rode up 93 to Ely, NV slower than I wanted to, to save the tire. It was early but I decided after a few very draining roads that I would get to bed early, so I had a few beers and got to bed early. http://goo.gl/maps/npKcs

Tuesday, July 8: Hit the road a little before 6am. I hoped I would be able to find somewhere in Reno with a tire, but after help from a friend and calling around I didn't have many options. 40 wasn't as lonely as I had expected, although it was quiet for a federal highway. My tire did incredibly well on the way across 40, due to lower speeds than I wanted to do and cooler early morning temperatures. I'm pretty sure it was the gravel roads and wheelspin that ate the tire more than anything else, but I didn't know that until I got more miles on the tire after finding it pretty much done. At the point that I was in Reno with no cords - or even pre-cord peeling - I decided to try to get home on the tire. It made it in the end, without many pics. http://goo.gl/maps/tivzG

Thanks to Gwynne for the ride out to Yellowstone, and to Beau for help finding somewhere with a tire (even if it didn't end up happening).

The bike, loaded up in Gwynne's truck

Sunset, I think this was in the valley somewhere

Dawn in Eastern Nevada. Some offramp from 80, somewhere before Elko (where we stopped for breakfast at ~6am). We napped for an hour and change as both of us were too tired to drive.

Somewhere in Idaho I think

Out of the truck, with the prize in the truck

The prize

Somewhere between my campsite and Daniel, WY. Warming up in the sun as it got pretty chilly at night and I was sleeping in a sleeping bag on the ground. I woke up early, maybe 5:30, got on the road around 6. The nearest weather station to the campground hit 34 that night, and most of my fingertips were numb and painful by the time I got to breakfast. Being up past 6000ft it gets cold quickly.

This was off 191, not sure if it was still WY or if I was in UT by then. Either way, near Flaming Gorge.

More from the same area

And another
    Originally posted by the_grinch
    ‎@Thatch-you sound just like an old athlete that can't face the fact that his best years are behind him. Josh would crash on the way to your funeral just to take that pin off your corpse.
    Originally posted by Beauregard
    give me some time to get used to not riding a Harley you young whippersnapper and i'll teach you some manners

On 40 near the UT/CO border

Stuck in the mud. It was thick and sticky enough to clog up the front wheel against the fender, locking it up. In a resulting near zero speed drop (you try keeping a bike upright with a locked wheel), somehow the shift lever got pushed up past where it was supposed to go. That meant I couldn't shift down until I got some tools to unbolt/reattach the shift lever, at which point all was good. Luckily I had an internet acquaintance nearby who I had just gone on a day ride with, and he was willing to come rescue me. This was in Pawnee Grasslands, where I was shooting with my cousin. The road was fine on the way out, 50+ on it no problem in places, but when it rained a few hundred yards turned to muck. Had I waited an hour and a half I would've been fine, but I thought more rain was coming (when in fact it was over). Mirror was unrelated to the nap, it just vibrated loose.

I think this was on UT163 where it snakes it's way up the cliff face

Near there as well, don't remember what road. May have also been 163, or maybe 261 or 95.

Rain sure brings out the colors. Again not sure exactly where.

Same place as previous picture.

Similar or same location

Burr Trail I think. I will say that my route into Burr Trail isn't something I'd advise on a sportbike or standard. Quite a few washboarded sections, as well as sand/silt. I could do it, and didn't go down, but it took significant effort. Had it been evening rather than first thing in the morning it may have gone differently.

More Burr Trail

Outside of Boulder, UT before I took the cutoff for Devil's Backbone

I didn't take any pictures for a while after that, as Devil's Backbone took significant attention (not particularly hard, but took attention).

Zion was pretty, but had way too much traffic. If I'd wanted to spend more time I could've taken pictures there, but I hate being stuck in 15mph traffic and just wanted to get through (while rubbernecking as much as I could while keeping up).

I hadn't reviewed Google enough, and ended up on even more gravel roads on my way over to 93. I didn't expect Google to put me on them, but it did. Then, I took a wrong turn. I didn't want to turn back as I'd just made it through some SERIOUS thunderstorms. I ended up with more gravel time than I wanted.

Speaking of which, gravel chews up tires FAST. Looking at Google, day 2 of the return trip was just a hair under 500mi. Burr Trail and the access road was ~40mi off pavement, Devil's Backbone 48mi off pavement, and getting over to 93 was another ~40mi off pavement. There were a few more miles on 163, climbing up the cliffside. In that 130mi off pavement, I probably ate up 500 road miles worth of back tire. Seriously, in the morning the tire was pretty damn good and in the evening it was pretty damn done. I didn't initially realize it was the gravel, but it wore well before and after the gravel. At the rate it was wearing day 2, I was afraid I wouldn't make it to Ely. I made it all the way back to Berkeley, not quite showing cords (but damn close).
    ‎@Thatch-you sound just like an old athlete that can't face the fact that his best years are behind him. Josh would crash on the way to your funeral just to take that pin off your corpse.
    give me some time to get used to not riding a Harley you young whippersnapper and i'll teach you some manners

Comment

Highway 40, aka The Loneliest Road in America. In reality, it wasn't all that lonely.

More US40

More US40

More US40

Tired selfie on US40

More US40

More US40

More US40

In the end I decided to just take 80 back, as I was very concerned about making it home on the tire and was having trouble finding a tire and shop to install it quickly, as I had to be home fairly soon.

Comment

Very cool, man. Sounds like an amazing trip. Nice pix!
        www.motorcyclesandmisfits.com

Comment

Holy shit, what an amazing trip report! Awesome.
          http://www.jamescornellfund.org/

Comment

Err, that last set of pics is all US50 not US40.

Comment

Originally posted by Junkie View Post
              Err, that last set of pics is all US50 not US40.
              Yeah, I was about to post - US 50 is the loneliest high way in America.
              "Mathematics are the result of mysterious powers which no one understands, and which the unconscious recognition of beauty must play an important part. Out of an infinity of designs a mathematician chooses one pattern for beauty's sake and pulls it down to earth."

Marston Morse

Comment

Awesome write-up man, thanks for sharing! Loved that area of UT when I was out there on my trip, super pretty stuff.

Comment

DANG! Looked like a great adventure!!!
                  sigpic

Originally posted by epim
                  Vampires MC. We ride motorcycles. We ride motorcycles fast. We're a family. We know where to hide the bodies.
                  The_grinch: "Yes, I love colic and rectal thermometry."

Comment

Working...
                  X