New MC Learner's Permit Law

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New MC Learner's Permit Law

Upcoming CA bill AB1952, if passed, will require a mandatory 15 hours of training (read MSF course) before the DMV will issue an M1 learner's permit to people between the ages of 15 1/2 to 21.

See: SacBee

Good, now with all this training they should finally repeal the fascist helmet law.
    "We want to be free. We want to be free to do what we want to do. We want to be free to ride. And we want to be free to ride our machines without getting hassled by The Man. And we want to get loaded."

"I can't promise you sticking your dick in a diamondback's mouth and zapping it with a cattle prod *will* get your pecker bitten, but I can promise you it's a BAD FUCKING IDEA" -Rotten

"Guns, stolen motorcycles, and dead hookers tend to attract a lot of attention"

Comment

With all this training it will take riders a long time to unlearn all the ridiculous bad habits they drill into you.
      "Through the course of my life, I've spent most of my money on motorcycles, drinking, drugs and chasing wild women. The rest of the money I just wasted."

I am the chosen one, the mighty hand of vengeance...
      ... sent down to strike the unroadworthy!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SatanCruz View Post
        Upcoming CA bill AB1952, if passed, will require a mandatory 15 hours of training (read MSF course) before the DMV will issue an M1 learner's permit to people between the ages of 15 1/2 to 21.

See: SacBee
        Collin is fucked, he doesn't turn 17 for another 3 weeks anyway.
        Cashing Satan's checks with my dick in my hand.
        Sometimes you gotta fuck a guy up and sometimes you gotta drink some chocolate milk.

Comment

I'm split on the issue -- MSF seems to be a pretty decent starting point for a lot of people and a much better alternative than the "I just bought a bike from my neighbor, so hold my beer while I try and figure out how to ride it in front of my apartment" approach. I kid you not, I've seen it happen twice, with appreciable property damage in both cases. Although most other people I know have learned from dirt biking and made the transfer to the street and could probably do without a 3 day MSF course.

Either way, no law is going to prevent being stupid on a motorcycle.

Comment

I believe there should be a whole list of private schools that would meet the "education" requirement for those that are more advanced than MSF. Keith Code's Schools for example should fulfill the requirement, or other skills based schools/classes. There should be options for those that have extensive experience to get the requirement "signed off". I taught myself how to ride, and turned out ok; but I would have progressed faster with any education. I just rode without a permit/license until I was 25 years old (6 years without license or insurance).

Comment

When I tried to get my M1 when I was 18, they wouldn't let me unless I took the MSF course... I thought they already required it >21yrs. I had to prove that I passed MSF to get my M1...
              sigpic

Originally posted by epim
              Vampires MC. We ride motorcycles. We ride motorcycles fast. We're a family. We know where to hide the bodies.
              The_grinch: "Yes, I love colic and rectal thermometry."

Comment

Currently you can get an M1 permit without MSF.
                Originally posted by the_grinch
                ‎@Thatch-you sound just like an old athlete that can't face the fact that his best years are behind him. Josh would crash on the way to your funeral just to take that pin off your corpse.
                Originally posted by Beauregard
                give me some time to get used to not riding a Harley you young whippersnapper and i'll teach you some manners

Comment

was it different in 04 than in 2010? kinda weird...
                  sigpic

Vampires MC. We ride motorcycles. We ride motorcycles fast. We're a family. We know where to hide the bodies.

Comment

I know a now 22 year old friend of mine had a permit without MSF when I started riding in 06.
                    Originally posted by the_grinch
                    ‎@Thatch-you sound just like an old athlete that can't face the fact that his best years are behind him. Josh would crash on the way to your funeral just to take that pin off your corpse.
                    Originally posted by Beauregard
                    give me some time to get used to not riding a Harley you young whippersnapper and i'll teach you some manners

Comment

Originally posted by samatye View Post
                      When I tried to get my M1 when I was 18, they wouldn't let me unless I took the MSF course... I thought they already required it >21yrs. I had to prove that I passed MSF to get my M1...
                      Yeah, you're correct, but we're talking permit here, not the M1 license. The way the system is set up is such that you can hold a permit, ride, and renew when it expires, essentially acting like a license that you retest for every time it runs out. For people who can't/don't want to take the DMV riding test or pass a CHP approved waiver, this is a pretty easy way to keep riding.

Unlike a C class permit where the restrictions mandate a licensed driver 21+ in the vehicle (presumably for guidance), because a motorcycle is primarily single occupant this restriction doesn't exist.

Comment

Ohhhhhhh! License vs Permit. that was really helpful. Sometimes the blond hair gets in the way...
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SatanCruz View Post
                          Yeah, you're correct, but we're talking permit here, not the M1 license. The way the system is set up is such that you can hold a permit, ride, and renew when it expires, essentially acting like a license that you retest for every time it runs out. For people who can't/don't want to take the DMV riding test or pass a CHP approved waiver, this is a pretty easy way to keep riding.

It's also one of the reasons all FUTURE SC Chapter members MUST have a full M1 to get a patch. The bylaws don't prevent it but as a voting patched in member I do. Other chapters is there own biz. but I don't want to ride with someone who is not qualified to "handle the pressure" of riding in a donut and doing a few ziz zags.
                          "Through the course of my life, I've spent most of my money on motorcycles, drinking, drugs and chasing wild women. The rest of the money I just wasted."

sigpic

Comment

Maybe there should be mandatory track days too. I feel like I am a much better group rider because I have experience doing 120+ mph, braking and going through turns in close proximity with other riders. Being a consistent and predictable rider is what makes one a good "group rider", and the skills learned on the track are great for this.

I am not really into rules very much, so mandatory is not my style. But I highly encourage it!

Comment

Originally posted by moto4fun View Post
                              Maybe there should be mandatory track days too. I feel like I am a much better group rider because I have experience doing 120+ mph, braking and going through turns in close proximity with other riders. Being a consistent and predictable rider is what makes one a good "group rider", and the skills learned on the track are great for this.

I am not really into rules very much, so mandatory is not my style. But I highly encourage it!

that has been brought up before as options for specific prospects but were brushed offf cuz said prospect was positive that he was already the shit and had nothing further to learn.

Otherwise are you talking track day or track instructional day. Track days will help improve rider skill for sure if the rider is receptive but may also breed a competitive street race streak we wish to avoid. Doc Wong told me at his track days it was *on* and if you were there you were *racing*. I thanked him for the tip and told him never in Hell would I attend one of his track days.

P.S. I admit I've still never ridden a track day yet.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X